Wednesday, October 27, 2010

TWD: All-American, All-Delicious Apple Pie


I haven't ever tallied up my posting average for the time I've been in TWD. I figure I post at least 50% of the time -- I'll go stretches when I post every week, and then I'll go two months without a post {which is a flagrant violation of TWD rules by the way, and (justifiably) grounds for being cleaned off the blogroll when housecleaning occurs}. That said, even when I go through a posting drought, I still bake the vast majority of the TWD recipes. How I can't manage to throw up a bad picture and a "loved the cake!" sentence those weeks is beyond me, but oh, crazy life, it just gets in the way sometimes. But one thing I've never ever done is post on a day other than Tuesday. If I miss the Tuesday deadline, I just don't post. Because this is Tuesdays with Dorie. But this apple pie was so delicious that it warrants the unthinkable - a Wednesday Tuesdays with Dorie post.

I went ahead and used Dorie's good for everything pie dough this week (after using the Cook's Illustrated pie crust for the pear torte and the caramel pumpkin pie). I think that both crusts are equally delicious. The Cook's Illustrated crust may be a tad easier to roll, but I've never had to drain and wring out Dorie's pie dough the way that I did with the CI recipe, a stressful process that I'd rather avoid. So I'll probably stick with Dorie's going forward.

The apple pie filling here contains the usual suspects -- apples (I used a mix of honeycrisp, gala, granny smith and golden delicious), cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, lemon zest as well as the unexpected, quick cooking tapioca, which is used as a thickener. I lost my quick cooking tapioca, which forced me to wander around the house asking "has anyone seen my quick cooking tapioca?" over and over again. If there is anything worse than having to make a special trip to the store to buy quick cooking tapioca, it's having to make a second special trip to the store to buy quick cooking tapioca to replace the quick cooking tapioca you bought two hours ago and lost. Fortunately, I found the quick cooking tapioca under the passenger seat in my car, next to a can of canellini beans I lost two weeks ago. (I'm sure you could use corn starch or something else as a thickener, or skip the thickener -- my grandmother never used anything to thicken her apple pie and it will always be my favorite pie ever).

This pie baked up just beautifully. It was all-American and all-delicious alright! It is pretty much the quintessential apple pie, and if you like apple pie, you'll have a hard time doing better than this one.

Emily of Sandmuffin chose this pie, and be sure to check out her post here. Thanks for the perfect October pick, Emily!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I still haven't made the apple pie yet. I had every intention of making it -- hopefully I will make it this weekend and double post next week! Your pie looks amazing! It looks like a perfect, perfect apple pie. I'm so glad you and your family loved this recipe.
I love Dorie's pie crust (it's the same as Julia's, fwiw). The CI crust is awesome, but sort of stressful. I had the same wringing out experience one time. Eek!

Flourchild said...

Your pie looks so good. It's nice to see your post, I miss you when your not around! Im glad you all liked it. I think Apple Pie just screams Fall and USA!!!

Kayte said...

Looks beautiful. I have found grocery items in just such places before...thankfully, only canned or boxed ones, not anything like meat or something equally perishable. What is written on the pie plate? It's driving me nuts not knowing what it says.

Anonymous said...

Your pie looks really delicious! I've often planned to put up a photo and one sentence, but I just can't bring myself to do it! Someday it will happen.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Firt of all, Happy Birthday Cathy!!!!!

I think it's a good thing that you have your TWD posting standards, and an even better thing that you know when to ignore them. (Your pie is so fabulous that it was definitely worth a rare Wednesdy TWD post!) Best thing of all? That you haven't gotten wiped from the TWD blogroll for your flagrant rules violations ;P

I hope for your sake that you found the tapioca before the second trip to the store. I bought some without checking the drawer, only to find a full box already at home. Guess there are a lot of thickened fruit pies (my mom always used flour) in my future.

Judy said...

Glad you decided to post on Wednesday. Your pie looks fabulous! Wish I had a piece right now. I sometimes lose groceries in the trunk of my car. It's actually rather empty, but those food items always find the darkest corner.

Anonymous said...

My introduction to all at thetortefeasor.blogspot.com, I didn't know here to post, hope its okay here this ( If this is not the right category please change me) I was just stopping by to say hi. I am currently at LSU getting a degree in finance in 9 months. Find more about my [url=http://123tradingsystem.edublogs.org/2010/10/21/a-review-of-the-top-3-no-risk-stock-trading-system-on-the-internet/]Trading System[/url]


Don't let the recession scare you from making money in stocks.[img]http://tradingprocoach.com/stock-trading-system.jpg[/img]

Unknown said...

Glad this pie worked so well for you! It looks great. Wringing pie crust? I don't think so. Losing groceries in the car? Oh, I've done that. The last one was sour cream - fortunately found after only a couple of hours.

You might want to delete the comment above mine, it's spam...

Deb in Hawaii said...

You rebel you! ;-) Your pie looks delicious. I am still slightly afraid of pie crust. ;-)

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs